Thursday, November 03, 2005

What the new world is going on. It's No-stiniking-vember and 70 stinking degrees outside. I always thought global warming was a joke, but I am seriously thinking about moving north...and to higher ground.

I am so ready for colder weather. I don't know what that means about my mental conditions or whether I have spent to much time around Ben and his sick ideas that rainy 50 degree days constitute 'beautiful weather.' On the brighter side of the coin, I was able to break out my sandals again today. Seriously one of the greatest days of my life. Sandals in No-stinking-vember!

Seth-I hope you read this and grow increasingly jealous of the relatively cool weather we have in Indiana and of course the brilliant Indian Summers we have. Of course that brings up questions as to why we even call it an Indian summer and not something relatively scientific. At least Native American summer. For goodness sakes we can't even have teams named after Indians, Warriors, etc. and we have a nation-wide extened summer by the name of Indian? Who are these sick people?

That's why I say forget politcal correctness. Everyone knows what you mean when you say Indian so why not make it easy?

3 Comments:

Blogger Brett said...

It's not "an indian summer", it's "MY indian summer". And it's native american, or something like that.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Just to make sure we know what we're talking about, here's part of an OED definition of indian summer (including a few historical quotations):

a. A period of calm, dry, mild weather, with hazy atmosphere, occurring in the late autumn in the Northern United States. Also transf. in other countries.
(The name is generally attributed to the fact that the region in which the meteorological conditions in question were originally noticed was still occupied by the Indians; but other more specific explanations have been essayed. In its origin it appears to have had nothing to do with the glowing autumnal tints of the foliage, with which it is sometimes associated. The actual time of its occurrence and the character of the weather appear also to vary for different regions: see the quots.)

1778 ‘J. H. ST. JOHN DE CRÈVECUR’ Sk. 18th-Cent. Amer. (1925) 41 It [sc. snow] is often preceded by a short interval of smoke and mildness, called the Indian Summer. 1794 E. DENNY Milit. Jrnl. (1859) 198, Oct. 13thPleasant weather. The Indian summer here [near Presqu' Isle]. Frosty nights. 1804 C. B. BROWN tr. Volney's View Soil U.S. 210 A series of fine days are expected near November, which is called the Indian summer [une série de beaux jours, appelés l'été sauvage (Indian summer)]. 1812 J. FREEMAN Serm. viii. 277-8 note, Two or three weeks of fair weather, in which the air is perfectly transparent, and the clouds, which float in a sky of the purest azure, are adorned with brilliant colours... This charming season is called the Indian Summer, a name which is derived from the natives, who believe that it is caused by a wind, which comes immediately from the court of their great and benevolent God Cautantowwit, or the south-western God.

...sounds pretty nice.

9:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This morning I walked outside to take the trash out and I thought to myself, "Ahhhhhhhhh". The air was crisp and cool, and if I huffed extra hard I could even see my breath. It felt nice... a perfect morning temperature that will soon to be complemented by a perfect afternoon temperature. Ahhhhh. I thought "Wow, I should pay to be here right now." Then I thought... "Oh yeah, I DO pay copious amounts of money so that I can live here, and I buy groceries so that I make trash so that I can pay a fee for the dumpster-man to come pick it up." It was an introspective morning.

Oh yeah... here's my definition of an Indian Summer:

A period of time during any season of the year when the majority of the population in a certain region is so consistantly drunk that they experience extended feelings of warm and fuzzy all over.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home