Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Well, that makes my day

Scientists and historians have discovered and identified the remains of Queen Hatshepsut, a 15th dynasty ruler of Egypt and the only female Pharoah.

Apparently, guys like me can still find out cool stuff.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

correction: not only, only most famous and successful.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Regg and Bev said...

Speaking of discoveries, this is literally really scary. Go to this link, scroll to the ¨personal blog part¨part of the page and be infuriated.

http://www.google.com/notebook/public/04466337320416565064/BDQtXSwoQvOC0ybwh

I really don´t like this. Something about it reeks of church governmental interference. Any thoughts? Comments? Concerns?

11:09 AM  
Blogger Regg and Bev said...

Sorry about the link. If it doesn´t wrap around, highlight the following blank line also to copy.

11:11 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

To be honest, I don't think the online list of ACCA-related stuff is a big deal. It seems like a helpful way to find friends' (or enemies') blogs and such. Any list of links on the sides of blogs seems just as offensive.

I would add, though, that some of the elders have shown more interest in becoming proactive or at least active online (at least according to one church leader mom talked to, who showed a group of elders a few examples of members' blogs). However, I'm really not sure that FritzMB has anything to do with church hierarchy (in fact, I'd imagine that most church elders probably try to stay as far away from this kind of technology as possible).

And on the topic of archaeology: Ben, rock on, dude.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Regg and Bev said...

Nick, I completely understand and agree with the basic premise of what you write. At the same time, I find tha´t, although a blog is obviously a public domain, it takes away from the assumed privacy that we have. It attracts attention to something that isn´t designed to be widespread and ´for all´. I agree that Mr. Fritz isn´t a part of church heirarchy. But it goes back to this idea that he had to search for blogs by church members and then post them in a central location without the permission of the authors and without notifying the authors of the posting. I realize that this happenes to some extent anyway with blog listings and such that might occur on other sites. the violation that I feel is very Big Brotherish in nature. Sure Mr. Fritz isn´t a part of church hierarchy, but I am sure his site is known by those in that position and I would argue that while some elders do stay as far away from this stuff as possible, it is more common than we would think for them to use it. What happens if an elder becomes worried about blogs. He has a whole list of them he can go look at. While I am not scared by what might be found, I think that it takes away from the intended purpose of the blog.

Anyway. I was just really surprised that someone would take all the time to find these blogsites and then post them like that. And yes, it does, obviously, disturb me a little. For whatever it all is worth.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

Regg,

My own expectation was always that blogs constituted a completely public forum, with all the headaches and complications that go along with it. This might include the possibility of the church leadership, or your own family, or any random internet stalkers to 'intrude' into our own online world. However, I still tend to think that some of these public conversations have some value for those lurkers, if not just stimulating conversation. Ah well, maybe I'm just mistaken.

If you'd rather have a private forum though, following the example of Dan Schafer, an email list might be more appropriate.

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I knew of the dangers of having a blog on the public domain, I cherished the illusion that no one outside of the Cool Single Guys, Seth, and Nick knew about this thing.

I guess I was wrong.

It kind of bugs me, too, though for a different reason: I don't really consider this an "AC" blog. Not everyone here is an AC, you know, and maybe not everyone will always be. And I resent some random chappie calling us so.

More so, however, the blog was supposed to be a place for a few friends to interact and stay connected. Sure, it's public domain. And having a regular place you go out to eat is a public issue, too. I resent our inclusion in the greater AC blogosphere much as I would resent the whole AC world knowing that we all go to Fiddler's every Thursday night. Everyone in the world has the right to check out our blog--everyone in the world has the right to go to Fiddler's. But I'd rather they not all crash the party.

Finally: why the @*#*&%@ is our blog the first one listed? Is there no justice in this world?

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or, in other words, to the rest of the world:

Leave us the heck alone.

(exempt from this prohibition: people I've lived with in Apt. 12, Rusty, Brett, Nick)

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last word from me on the subject (for now):

If others find out about us and visit our blog...

at least I'll have a new forum to cheese people off.

How about "Why I love Benedict XVI" for my next blog post? Or "The Real Presence Rocks"?

2:14 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Ben,

I'm guessing that anything involving 'genuflection', 'Mary as co-redemptrix', or 'saints that save' would probably also fit into that aforementioned 'cheesing' category.

Peace, brother.

Nick

3:34 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

Just wanted to let y'all know that I contacted Mike Fritz and he has removed this blog from the watchlist (including the notebook as well as his collected church feeds). Hope this eases some of the tension.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Regg and Bev said...

Cool. Leave it to the rest of us to complain while Nick actually does something.

11:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home